Continuing with my gourmet sauces of the summer, I present to you this spicy(ish) mustard that has beer in it, leaving you with such a delicious beer after taste in your mouth. Of course this only works if you are a beer lover and if you aren't, well we can no loner be friends. I kid! It does have a slight after taste but not too strong that would bug non beer drinkers (I think)... but any who, it's still worth a try. Paired with umami ketchup and wasabi mayonnaise (recipe coming soon) on a warm hot dog being enjoyed at a beach picnic is just the sort of thing you want to pencil in for the remaining weekends left of summer. A plus to this recipe, you only use like a fraction of that beer meaning tons of leftover and well, we can't let it go to waste now can we? Again, only works if you like beer... if you don't, make sure to have someone that does near by to take care of the remains. Enjoy!
Ballpark Beer Mustard Recipe, (which I adjusted slightly) makes about 1 cup
- 1/4 cup mustard powder (you can also use dry mustard)
- 1/2 cup light bodied beer (I used Corona)
- 2 tbsp. water
- 1 tsp. turmeric
- 1 egg
- 1 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. cornstarch
- 1/2 tsp. lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp. sugar
- Whisk together the mustard powder, beer, water, and turmeric in a medium sized bowl until smooth. Cover and let chill in the fridge overnight.
- Simmer 1 inch of water in a sauce pan, leave aside.
- Add egg, salt, cornstarch, lemon juice, and sugar to the mustard mixture, whisking well to blend.
- Place bowl in the simmering water of the sauce pan to cook and whisk constantly. Whisk until the mustard thickens which should be around 6 minutes.
- Transfer into plastic squirt bottles (optional but so much fun!) and chill before using... enjoy!
***Today I am thankful beer in my mustard... you can definitely taste it!***