While scouring the web for fun Valentine ideas, I came across this sweet and simple recipe for making your own heart shaped sugar cubes... I mean cute or what?!? It's the perfect way to brighten anyone's day... simply pop one in your coffee or tea and I dare you to have a bad day after that... dare you! To spruce things up a little, I decided double the recipe and make both red and pink ones... fancy, I know! But on a serious note, these little guys took so little effort to make, I can see them quickly becoming a staple around here.
Jojo & Eloise Recipe (which I adjusted), makes 25 heart sugar cubes
- silicone heart tray (make sure it's microwave safe!)
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tbsp. water
- red or pink food coloring
- Combine the sugar, water, and food coloring in a bowl and mix well. Add more or less drops of food coloring to get desired color.
- Spoon into the silicon tray, smoothing out the tops. You should fit roughly 1 tsp. of sugar per heart.
- Microwave for 50 seconds in 10 second increments, gently smoothing out and patting down the sugar as it's melting.
- About half way through, you can either leave as is (the sugar would have melted down) or you can add about 1/2 tsp. more to each heart to reach the top again. I did both so I ended up with some shorter and some taller hearts.
- Smooth out the tops after last microwave session and let cool for 10 minutes before popping them out... enjoy!
***Today i am thankful for my little heart sugar cube... it totally brought a smile to my day!***