To up the challenge (as if baking for ten glass mason jars wasn't already enough) I insisted we had to try at least three of my new favorite recipes I had found online... I mean when else through out the year would I have such an excuse to bake like a mad women?!? And so we tried out this delicious nutmeg maple butter number, a minty crushed peppermint type, and of course the traditional gingerbread variety. A few little bumps along the road to master baking that we came across included:
1. Our store bought cookie cutters would make too big of cookies... and so hubs took it upon himself to remake smaller versions... and thus we ended up with a few lightening bolt, moon, and heart shaped cookies... I had specified I wanted xmas themed... oh and let's not forget the free handed self cookie portrait hubs did of himself, the resemblance is uncanny!!!
2. When mixing together the nutmeg variety, something went terribly wrong... something crucial most have been left out or doubled or something... we ended up with a bubbling syrupy mess that later hardened into a really disgusting candy sheet type thing... so we tried again and the second time it was a success!!!
3. Caramel aka the mini vacuum ate all and anything that landed on the floor by accident... this included a variety of raw ingredients... from candy pieces, to dough, to cookie bits... if it landed on the floor, it was gone in the blink of an eye! This would have been no problem at all if only Caramel hadn't gotten a sick from all the sugary goodness he found...
4. We, meaning I, underestimated the time needed for baking all three recipes, and allowing for dough chilling time, and oven time, and so we ended up baking until the wee hours... well actually until the wee morning... almost nine hours and that is why little k collapsed under xmas tree for a well deserved nap...
5. Even after all the chaos, the immense amounts of heat we were exposed to from the oven, and our own stomach aches from eating too many broken cookie pieces, I was still genuinely loving the whole ordeal. So I turned to hubs and in a very excited voice announced that this should be our new and very own family tradition each xmas!!! Trying out all kinds of new recipes and why stop at just cookies?!? The baking world would be our oyster and we could even get the kids involved in the future and... to which he interrupted with the saddest, most heartfelt "noooooo" plus groan combination sound ever. Apparently hubs did not feel the same way as I did about baking... who knew?
***Today I am thankful for new family traditions... even if hubs doesn't share my same enthusiasm for baking by the bajillions, he will just have to learn to love it***